Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Going to the hills

Being from the delta means that your car never haves to shift into a lower gear for everything is flat. But on June 27 I will be moving to Vicksburg. Vicksburg is about an hour and fifteen minutes due south of me. And the powers that be have decided that I will be appointed to Gibson Memorial UMC. When I've told people how to get there, I tell them to go down Highway 61 to the first light in Vicksburg. Look to your left. You'd be able to see the church if it were not for a ---- HILL.

This is only my second time leaving a church. I began my ministry in 1999 at the age of 30 in a little community called Mount Pleasant. I had one church that averaged about 50 on Sunday while going to Memphis Theological Seminary. After graduation I asked to move. It was a natural transition. The church was a small church with a salary more along the lines of student pastor pay. And they were a great church to be in while at seminary. They loved me. They helped me grow. Didn't complain too much about the stuff I learned at seminary and "tried out" on them. And the school was 35 miles away from my front door.

Now I am at a two point charge. My combined church attendance is about 115. These two churches have been a true blessing to me. I have been through a lot with them and have learned from them. And hopefully God has used me in some small way to influence their lives as well.

I thought I was going to the coast. But instead, I just got a little closer. Maybe I won't have to evacuate if any hurricanes come next year.

I am finding out that moving is the hardest part of being a pastor for me. It's not the packing or unpacking of boxes. It's not the total disarray my life will be in for a short time. It's saying good-bye.

This is a bittersweet time for me. On one hand, I am truly excited about going somewhere new and having new opportunities. It seems that my next church home is in an area of town where there is growth. It also seems that they use technology (I'm hoping to learn a great deal). And I believe that the Kingdom of God can truly be impacted by Gibson Memorial. So it's an exciting time for me.

On the other hand, saying good-bye for me is not an easy thing. Both charges have had people that I just wanted to take with me wherever I go. And I won't be seeing those same people who have shown me and my family so much love over the last 3 years on a weekly basis anymore.

But what has to be done has to be done. I'm a part of the appointment system and will abide by it. It may be flawed, but I still believe it's the best system out there right now. But that's a theme for another post.

Anyway, I've rambled on enough. That's what you get to do when you have your own blog. But if any of you feel the same as I do, I'd love to hear from you. If you have a different perspective on moving, let me know that as well. Personally, I just hope I never go anywhere where when I leave, I'm glad to wipe the dust off my feet.

In the love of Christ,
greg

6 Comments:

At 4/19/06, 8:59 AM, Blogger John said...

My mom was born and raised in Vicksburg. I've been to it many times. Although in the past several years its become a little Las Vegas, it's a very pleasant place.

The battlefield park is simply magnificent.

 
At 4/19/06, 11:10 AM, Blogger Greg Hazelrig said...

Wow, small world.

 
At 4/20/06, 7:58 AM, Blogger Andy said...

Plus you are close the the well known Methodist theologian, The Prid. And close to Port Gibson which is so pretty that Grant couldn't burn it during the Civl War. You'll have to go and check out the church with a finger for a steeple.

 
At 4/20/06, 8:10 AM, Blogger Jody Harrington said...

Best wishes on your upcoming move, Greg.

 
At 4/20/06, 8:18 AM, Blogger Mark said...

My dad was a Civil War buff. One day he just got in his truck and drove from Ft Worth, TX to Vicksburg to see the battle site. I thought he was crazy.

Guess what I'm doing now? Reading Civil War books, planning someday to visit all the major memorial sites.

Did someone say we become like our parents?

Greg--blessings as you leave your current appointment and blessings as you enter your new one.

 
At 4/20/06, 6:11 PM, Blogger doodlebugmom said...

Take your memories of those with you. Its hard for a congregation to say goodbye too.

And now days keeping in touch is easy with email.

Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home