Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Thought of the Day !! (In Memory of Wayne)

For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.
Philippians 1:21 (NIV)


Growing up there were times when I had one best friend and other times when I felt like I didn't have a friend in the world. God has blessed me since accepting His call to ministry with many great friends. Even though to have a "best" something may mean just one, for me it means about three. So I had about three truly best friends as of Sunday evening at 8:30pm. It was then that I lost one.

Some of you will know Wayne McCord. Many will not. But my heart is saddened today as I prepare to preach my best friend's funeral at 2pm. If you knew him, this scripture does not have to be discussed because you saw in him exactly what it meant. It was said the other day that I could get up today and simply say that I don't have a funeral message because if you knew Wayne for his 59 years and didn't get the message, then you never will.

Wayne was a person that you couldn't help but love. He made you feel like you were special. He was always positive and never said a cross word about anyone to my knowledge. His heart and passion was for his ministry in Greenville, MS where he had moved into the worst section of town and lived among the poor and reached out each week, especially to the kids in the neighborhood. To them he will always be remembered as Pastor Mac, the one in the blue house with the carousel in the front yard who showed us that we did have value.

Wayne lived as Christ called him to live. And now that he is gone, for him it is gain. God bless you Wayne. And thank you for showing me how a real Christian is supposed to live. I love you man. And I can't wait to see you again.

In the love of Christ,
greg

P.S. I may or may not get a Thought out tomorrow or Friday.

2 Comments:

At 12/15/06, 8:07 PM, Blogger doodlebugmom said...

thank you for sharing the spirit of Wayne with those of us that did not get the chance to know him.

And again, sorry for the loss of your friend.

Linda

 
At 12/16/06, 7:43 AM, Blogger Greg Hazelrig said...

Thank you dbmom. I certainly appreciate it. God bless and congratulations again on coming out of your accident ok. Hope the stiffness and soreness is getting better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home