Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Question about being "Slain in the Spirit"

I was over at Brother Marty's blog reading about where he said a friend wanted to be slain in the Spirit. It brought back a time not too long ago for me and I wanted to share it. My question today is how do you feel about this subject?


I was in a room where a small group of us came to worship after Annual Conference let out one night. It was not a healing time, but a time of worship. I experienced people I knew and loved speaking in tongues (people I never would have thought about because they never mention that kind of thing). I saw a person being prayed over and he limply fell while everyone prayed over him.

Yet I didn't feel any different. I may can relate to the person you are speaking of though. You see, I was led to pray in my normal way and then to pray for this same person (even though I knew not what was wrong). In the process, the leader (a friend of mine) took me and started praying for me (partially in clear language and partially in tongues). I was caught up in what was going on. I wanted to "be slain" or speak in tongues, not for the excitement, but because at that very moment I wanted to feel God's presence in a mighty way.

They all began praying over me. I let myself go so that I wound up laying on the floor. And nothing happened. I actually felt in some ways like I had failed that night. Everybody else was experiencing God in a way I couldn't. They kept telling me to allow my spirit to speak and not to try. I had no idea what that meant evidently.

I am back now to my belief before that night. I know some are slain in the Spirit and will speak in tongues. I have seen friends do that now. But God evidently doesn't have that in store for me. Am I saddened? Not really. I want to experience Him in any and all ways. But I guess some of those ways will just have to wait till I get to Heaven.

(Taken from my comment on Brother Marty's post)

4 Comments:

At 9/11/07, 10:49 AM, Blogger Brother Marty said...

Greg,
When reading about the spiritual lives of some of the saints, this appears to have happened to many of them in their monastic worship experiences. St. Joseph of Copertino and St. Teresa of Avila come to mind as two of the most well known.

 
At 9/11/07, 2:13 PM, Blogger Greg Hazelrig said...

Thanks brother marty. It's always good to know that one is in good company. I guess these two would be considered just that. :)

 
At 9/16/07, 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

encouraged that this could happen after annual conference

:)

blessings

 
At 9/16/07, 3:30 PM, Blogger Greg Hazelrig said...

Yeah lorna, miracles do happen :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home