Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Thought of the Day !!

So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.
Matthew 7:12 (ESV)


The other day I went through the checkout at Wal-Mart where the cashier never said a word to me. This is unusual since I'm almost always greeted with some degree of recognition there. But when the person basically ignored me until she handed me my receipt, I said to her, "You have a nice day."

As I say this to you, you might think I'm trying to share with you how we should treat others when we're not treated the way we feel that we should be treated. But the truth of the matter is that even though I said the right thing, I neglected to share with you the tone in which I spoke those words. It was one that spoke louder than any words I could've said as I allowed the indignation to swell up in me and be sarcastic to someone who did not deserve it.

So in this case I use the example of myself not for you to follow, but to show what it means to disobey the Golden Rule of doing to others what we'd wish them to do to us.

When Jesus interacted with people, he showed them something that we should all show each other. This is respect. I mean, how many of us doesn't want, or even think we deserve other's respect? But how often is it that we neglect to show this same respect others?

Think about what this Christmas season would be like if we would show respect to every other person we meet. No one would be looked down upon or judged by appearances. No one would be talked about behind their backs or discounted. People would be spoken to that are usually ignored. People would receive smiles even when we're not in that cheerful of a mood. People would be asked opinions instead of being told what they should do. And checkers would receive a "have a nice day" that has meaning behind it instead of being spoken in a sarcastic tone of voice.

Can you imagine how many people could be affected, and possibly even changed, if we treated others the way we would like to be treated? If only one is changed, I would suspect that one to be me. How about you?

In the love of Christ,
greg

1 Comments:

At 12/3/08, 8:12 AM, Blogger DannyG said...

A couple of years ago I shared the story of a friend of (J)'s who was a missionary in Central America for many years. They had come into a large city to do some shopping and, when the cashier was having trouble she paged the manager "Jesus". I suppose we need to keep that thought in mind throughout the Christmas season.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home