Thursday, January 29, 2009

Thought of the Day !!

Jesus sat down near the collection box in the Temple and watched as the crowds dropped in their money. Many rich people put in large amounts. Then a poor widow came and dropped in two small coins.
Jesus called his disciples to him and said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has given more than all the others who are making contributions. For they gave a tiny part of their surplus, but she, poor as she is, has given everything she had to live on.
Mark 13:41-44 (NLT)


This morning I was reading this passage from my Life Application Study Bible. As I thought about what I might write about it, I read the study notes. So instead of me reinventing the wheel, as they say, I'm going to quote what I read.

"This widow gave all she had to live on, in contrast to the way most people handle their money. When we consider giving a certain percentage of our income a great accomplishment, we resemble those who gave 'a tiny part of their surplus.' Here, Jesus was admiring generous and sacrificial giving . As believers, we should consider increasing our giving - whether of money, time, or talents - to a point beyond convenience or calculation."

Ask yourself if you've ever been in a position where you could tithe comfortably or give from time to time to the church or to help someone without ever even noticing a sacrifice had been made. Do we give up anything to give to God? Do we give to God out of the excess that we have of our time, money or talents? Or are we true joyful and sacrificial givers?

In the love of Christ,
greg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home