Wednesday, March 04, 2009

The Hard Way (Thought of the Day !!)

Oh, the joys of those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or stand around with sinners, or join in with scoffers. But they delight in doing everything the LORD wants; day and night they think about his law.
Psalm 1:1-2 (NLT)


I was listening to an older song by DC Talk this morning coming in to the office. It's called "The Hardway" and goes like this:

Some people gotta learn the hardway
I guess I'm the kinda guy that has
to find out for myself
I had to learn the hardway, father
I'm on my knees and I'm crying for help
now I've been high and I've been low
I've been some places that you will not go
I never thought there would come the day
when I wished I never would've lived this way
but I've been searching for a long time
I thought the devil was a friend of mine
I turned my back on everything that was true
and wasted years that belonged to you
some people gotta learn the hardway
I guess I'm the kinda guy that has
to find out for myself
I had to learn the hardway, father

The Psalmist says that joy comes to those who don't follow the "advice of the wicked, or stand around with sinners, or join in with scoffers". If the opposite is true, then pain comes to those who live life revelling in the world's misguided attempts of pleasure that never bring ultimate joy.

Just as in the song, I had to learn the hard way. God allowed me to make my life miserable with partying and trying to make as much money as I could by whatever means I could. When I finally realized just how miserable an existence I was living, my God said to me, "It's time to quit living for you, and time to start living for me." Ever since then there have been ups and downs. But there has been more and more joy in my life that no amount of worldly pleasure could bring.

Some people gotta learn the hard way. How about you?

In the love of Christ,
greg

2 Comments:

At 3/4/09, 1:37 PM, Blogger Art said...

I've had to learn the hard way many, many times! Great post, Greg.

 
At 3/6/09, 7:12 PM, Blogger TN Rambler said...

Amen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home