Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Thought of the Day !!

When (Jesus) had finished speaking, he said to Simon, "Now go out where it is deeper, and let down your nets to catch some fish.""Master," Simon replied, "we worked hard all last night and didn't catch a thing. But if you say so, I'll let the nets down again." Luke 5:4-5 (NLT)


Jesus has been teaching the crowds from a small fishing boat that was rowed a little ways into the cove. He finishes his teaching, looks to Peter and says, “Go to the deep water and catch some fish”.

What must this have sounded like to Peter? I can only imagine. I can see Peter wanting to say, “Uhh, Jesus, hey man, you know…you may know a thing or two about preaching or carpentry. But I’m the fishing expert here. I won’t tell you how to preach and you don’t tell me how to fish. Deal?”

But he didn’t. He had every reason not to want to go back out in the boat. He’d been out all night fishing. He had to be tired, wanting to get home and get some food and some sleep. And on top of all that, the nets were now clean and would have to be cleaned again.

The excuses are always there for us to not do what we need to do or what God calls us to do. It’s too hard…I don’t have the time…I’m busy that day…I’ve got to work…I don’t know what I’m doing…etc. But Peter does something amazing. In the midst of all the excuses that he could’ve made, he chose to obey. We can all learn a lesson from Peter here.

In the love of Christ,
greg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home