Friday, October 22, 2010

Thought of the Day !!

The LORD had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you."
Genesis 12:1 (NIV)


I remember hearing similar words when I was struggling with the call to ministry. In a nutshell God said to me, "Leave the house you have and the dreams you have of buying a nice home. Leave your friends, especially those you had before you changed that are not receptive to your life change. Leave the area where you can always just pop in at your mom and dad's place. Leave your job. And go. Go where I tell you. Go to seminary. Go to Mt. Pleasant to learn how to preach on a weekly basis. Just go where I tell you...and have faith."

That's kind of what I heard. Michelle...Now that's another story all together. She thought I was delusional. But God did finally convince her that I wasn't being called to just do "more" work in our church (I already seemed to volunteer for everything that came up).

Since Michelle and I've accepted that call to leave and to go, there have been ups and downs. I've learned how unChristian Christians can sometimes be. And I've learned a lot about the love of God from others. We've gone through tough financial times and made it to a point where we actually have money to give others in need at times.

All in all, it's been a journey of faith that has led me to my current appointment in Vicksburg. And I wouldn't change a thing. Well...maybe that's an overstatement. :)

What is God calling you to? Your call may not be as life-changing as the one He placed on my life. And then again...maybe it is. The question is, how are you responding? Will you say "Yes" when the LORD says to you to go? Or will you chalk His calling up to indigestion or something?

It takes faith to say yes. But it will be worth it. Take it from me. I know.

In the love of Christ,
greg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home