Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Thought of the Day !!

So Jesus explained, “I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself.  He does only what he sees the Father doing.  Whatever the Father does, the Son also does. – John 5:19 (NLT)

Hal Hall is a friend and fellow pastor.  He likes to impersonate Elvis for people.  I seriously doubt though that he wants to truly imitate the man many believe to be a great legend but had some serious flaws.

We can be impersonators of sorts ourselves.  I cannot sing like Elvis (actually its more like a wounded cat), but I have found myself imitating others before.  I hear a preacher captivate her/his audience and I want to sound like that or try to do what he/she does to keep the congregation’s attention.  I see a pastor who’s popular and want to dress like him (I say him because I don’t want to dress like a woman).  I see how someone else has successfully created a ministry in her/his church and I want to do the same thing.

Thankfully, these feelings come far less now than they did when I first started.  But I have to be honest.  They still come sometimes.  I still want to imitate someone else. 

Jesus imitated someone too.  He imitated the only one who is perfect, without flaws or defects, the only one who being imitated would not disappoint.  He imitated the Father.  In imitating the Father Jesus was truly successful.  In imitating the Father he showed us what to imitate. 

My desire is to never be able to look at someone else and want to do things like they do anymore.  Instead, I want to grow more and more towards imitating my Father in Heaven whose ways are perfect.

In the love of Christ,

greg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home