Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Thought about Hurricane Katrina (Day 2)

My heart is heavy this morning as I've gotten my first glimpses of the news. I can do so because my electricity came back on last night. I am wondering how many of my readers will not be able to read this for a lack of power in their own homes.

Jesus teaches us to "Do for others what (we) would like them to do for (us)." He also says that "This is the summary of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." (Matthew 7:12) He also teaches us to love one another as he loved us. How might this take on a deeper meaning at a time such as this?

I've already heard from one parishioner this morning who found someone on the side of the road needing help. This was one of several who had driven north to dodge the storm and were staying in the local park. There may be some of these people around you as well. Some of these people will be away from home for a long time. And when they do go back, they may find out that there is not much to come home to.

I can quote what I've heard this morning on CNN / Fox / and The Weather Channel (as I've switched back and forth). But I believe everybody has an idea of the massive devastation that occurred yesterday and last night all over LA, MS, and AL. I won't go into detail the death toll already discovered and the number expected to be uncovered later. What I will say is this. Most of us know someone who has been affected in some way (large or small). As I said yesterday, begin by praying for them. But now is the time to plan our action.

Remember Jesus' words to do unto others as we would have them do unto us as well as his command to love. How might we do this now?

How about contacting the Red Cross to see where people are housed?

How about finding people around you who may need shelter?

How about delivering home-cooked meals to those who may not be able to go home for a while? Can you imagine how it may feel for someone in their position to see that others do actually care about their situation? You may even be able to listen to them. You don't have to have all the answers. At times like these, some people just need another to listen.

How about getting ready to write some checks?

How about getting with your pastor and asking her or him to look into UMCOR and UMVIM's plans for clean-up teams? Maybe you can be a volunteer on one of them. A week or so out of your life is nothing compared with what some of these people have lost.

How about putting together flood buckets or buying supplies such as water so that they can be transported to needed areas in a week or two when we can go and help?

How about calling all those you know who may have had damage and check on them, asking them what is needed?

How about .... How about you fill in the blanks. And for all my parishioners and friends, if you see a way that you or I can help out that I have not mentioned, contact me.

I leave you with this thought this morning. Jesus said that if we wanted to be great, we would have to serve. Here is our chance friends. We can be great in this great time of need. Listen to your heart. Hear what Jesus has to say to you today.

In the love of Christ,
greg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home