Monday, January 02, 2006

Please visit this website

There is a blog called Hurricane Katrina - Mississippi Response that I visit regularly. It was set up by a United Methodist pastor and a Presbyterian attorney. I believe that it's the attorney that posts under the name of hurricanehelper.

On Dec. 30 this person posted this as a purging of 2005:

"I am tired of the trash, the smell, the difficulties of doing simple things, the fear of insurance adjustors, the constant dealing with loss, and that empty lost feeling that things will never get back to normal.

I am purging some pictures. I may just stop writing on the 1st. I may not. I may ask Tony to please take over. I may just go AWOL."


I would ask that you check out the site and give hurricanehelper a little support by making an encouraging comment. It seems as though he/she needs some encouragement at this time.

In the love of Christ,
greg

4 Comments:

At 1/3/06, 9:24 PM, Blogger methodist monk said...

Many thanks for continuing to keep this before people's eyes. Being from Louisiana, I too feel the hurt. We will never be the same. Our state will never be the same. Our church will never be the same.

Sometimes, i think if you are not there, you can forget. Katrina did more to Mississippi and Louisiana than many people will ever imagine. Our bishop said the current diaspora from Louisiana in someways surpasses that of the Jews from Israel. Populations, Cultures, and Identities were destroyed in one night.

 
At 1/4/06, 8:11 AM, Blogger Greg Hazelrig said...

Stephen, do you have the latest estimate on how many people have come back to New Orleans? A few weeks ago I thought I heard that only about a fourth had come back and they were debating on whether or not to have the mayoral elections. I have heard nothing since.

I believe that there will be many who never make it back to either LA or the MS coast.

Also, thanks for your comments.

 
At 1/4/06, 1:51 PM, Blogger methodist monk said...

Living in the city from night to night consistently...

Not more than 30,000 people

This from Louisiana's largest city (800 - 900 thousand) and the largest source of revenue for the state.

The church is taking a wait and see approach. We don't expect to be half as big as before. What rebuilding will be done will probably be consolidation and restructuring. There are a lot of things we just don't know anymore

 
At 1/5/06, 7:24 AM, Blogger Greg Hazelrig said...

My prayers go out to you in rebuilding and reconstructing. May God bless you with quality if not quantity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home