Saturday, March 18, 2006

I Survived !!

I made it unscathed. That's not to say that I'm a shoe-in or anything, but at least I didn't pass out or throw up in front of the BOM - Ha ha!!

Anyway, I was fine until about an hour before. And then for some unknown reason I started getting really nervous. I did not expect this because I'd been confident about the whole process ever since my first interview three years ago when I came up for probation. But for some reason, anxiousness set in.

We met at 5pm for supper and then worship. I was the first after the worship to go in. My dear friend Andy Stoddard pulled me outside and he and another friend (Harold Manning) prayed over me. And then the Holy Spirit took over and my nerves were settled. One of the questions was where had I experienced the Holy Spirit in the last year. If I'd have thought about it, I could have said 15 minutes ago.

It is now 9:35am on Saturday and Andy Stoddard is just finishing up his interviews. I have been praying for him from afar. He thinks he's going to be deferred. But that's because Andy is the ultimate pessimist. But in truth, he's one of the smartest people I know, as well as one of the most caring pastors. He'll do fine.

Thank you very much for your support and the prayers. Reading the responses this morning was truly an uplifting experience for me. To have people that only know me by the words I type on a computer praying for me and supporting me truly shows what it means to be Christ-like. So I say Thank you. And God bless each of you.

In the love of Christ,
greg

5 Comments:

At 3/18/06, 11:00 AM, Blogger Beth Quick said...

So how long do you wait for results?

 
At 3/19/06, 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greg,

I know your Blog post was simply to relate the story of your BOM interview, but when I read this, post, I see an entire "story behind the story" so to speak. One could preach an entire half hour sermon on this post.

You stated you were fine until about an hour before the interview. You had your practical training, your seminary education, your knowledge, your faith to rely on and build your confidence. Suddenly, you stated you became very nervous and unsure of your confidence. Why? You were under attack by the Enemy. The Enemy sows doubt, half truths, and down right lies in the minds and consciousness of every believer. You stated, "for some reason, anxiousness set in". It was not for some reason, it was to advance the Enemies plan and cause confusion in the our Lord's plan that you are a part of. It was a deliberate attack and your mind was the battleground. You were a pawn in the Invisible War that has waged since before the dawn of time. I know that modern, 21st century Methodists don't like to talk about these things, but that doesn't make it any less true.

You then recounted how you and a friend and Andy Stoddard pulled aside and prayed. You felt the power of the Holy Spirit move over you. Your nerves were settled. Christ said were two or more are gathered together in my name, I am there. St. Paul wrote that prayer is the most sure fire way to thwart the attack of the Enemy. You came under attack, you felt the attack, you and two others prayed. Christ was with you just as He promised He would be, the Holy Spirit moved and you felt His calming influence, the attacking, unnerving spirit was defeated.

Wow! This is what I see happening behind the scenes in the spiritual realm as your related the very real physical effects to you during this attack. I hope that as a new and young pastor, you can relate the importance of this story to your congregation. (1) that we are at WAR. It is a spiritual war and it rages around us each and every day. It is fought in the minds of mankind, it is fought in the airwaves, on the streets and in the boardrooms, in our churches and conferences. It is fought continuously in every corner of both the natural and supernatural world. It is a spiritual battle, but the effects of the battle spill over in to our physical world every day (2) Prayer is the most powerful weapon in the arsenal of every Christian. It is so tragic that so many only pray in church for 2 minutes on Sunday morning, if they pray at all. Imagine if Christians honestly and earnestly prayed as Christ taught us to pray each and every day. At all times, continuously, as St. Paul wrote.

I don't know if you meant for me to get all that from your post, but that is how I read it.

 
At 3/19/06, 12:43 PM, Blogger Greg Hazelrig said...

Elizabeth, I should know by the end of the week.

Keith, No I didn't mean for you to get all that, but since you did, that's great. And you're right in that the enemy does try wreak havoc in us. But when we're robed in Christ, this enemy cannot take over.

 
At 3/19/06, 7:54 PM, Blogger Michael said...

Greg,

If your writings are any indication of things to come, I would say there is nothing to wait on - you are a done deal!

Best to you.

 
At 3/20/06, 7:34 AM, Blogger Greg Hazelrig said...

Thanks Michael. Your words are certainly appreciated.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home