Wednesday, December 13, 2006

A Fitting Obituary

I am finally home and trying to check my email. Today has been a long day. I woke up at 5:30 and couldn't go back to sleep. I finally got out of bed and went to Starbucks so I could use their Wi-Fi. It was the first time I'd been to a Starbucks for this and wound up spending about $6-$8 just to log on.

Finally, the funeral came. I was a wreck. I had tried to go over what I would say and had never made it through all the way without breaking down. But I had some folks praying for me...even one praying for me throughout the message. And I got through it. Now it's over, I've made the 4 hour trek home, and I'm beat. I'm going to sleep. But first, I wanted thank each of you for your prayers and to share what I called Wayne's obit. It comes from the song Good Man by Emerson Drive.

When all is said and done
I wanna be the one
Who lived a good life, loved a good wife, and always helped someone in trouble.

On the day they lay me down
I want everyone to gather ‘round
And say he was a father, brother, neighbour and a friend
He was a good man!


This was Wayne. And I have promised God and myself and now you that I will do what I can to help his legacy continue. And when I die, I only hope that it can be said that I was half as good a man as Wayne McCord. My brother...neighbor...friend.

Good-bye brother.

And good-night to everyone else.

In the love of Christ,
greg

3 Comments:

At 12/14/06, 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greg,

May the peace of Christ keep you in this time of sorrow. My heart grieves for you. Don't hesitate to drop me an email or even give me a call if you need somebody to talk to. I conducted a dear friend's funeral a few years ago and I know that pastors need to be able to lay aside their stoles and just be human at times like these.

In Christ's love,
John

 
At 12/14/06, 2:18 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Bro. Greg,

I am truly sorry for your loss. The pain of losing a loved one seems unbearable when the grief is so fresh. When my father unexpectedly passed away 12 years ago, I didn't think I would ever get over it. I still haven't, because the tears and pain surface from time-to-time. But, after a while, God lessened the anguish and helped me to get on with life.

"And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Phil 4:7)

 
At 12/14/06, 2:41 PM, Blogger Greg Hazelrig said...

Thanks John and Mark.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home