Monday, February 19, 2007

Thought of the Day !!

Peter and the others had fallen asleep. When they woke up, they saw Jesus' glory and the two men standing with him. As Moses and Elijah were starting to leave, Peter, not even knowing what he was saying, blurted out, "Master, it's wonderful for us to be here! Let's make three shelters as memorials—one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah." But even as he was saying this, a cloud overshadowed them, and terror gripped them as the cloud covered them.

Then a voice from the cloud said, "This is my Son, my Chosen One. Listen to him."
Luke 9:32-35 (NLT)


This past week was Transfiguration of the Lord Sunday. I chose to turn this into a day of speaking about mountaintop experiences where we sense God's presence in a very real and invigorating way. I compared the experiences of Moses and Elijah and these disciples, when each experienced God on the mountain.

We don't have to go to mountains to experience the Holy Spirit. God will speak to each of us IF we give Him the chance. But as important as listening to what God has to say to us is, we must also do what He says.

Let me use myself as an example. I've been to revivals where I got all "revived". I felt the Spirit. I felt like God was speaking to me. I felt like I could change the world. Have you ever been to one of these? Or maybe it was a spiritual retreat or camp?

Well to finish my story, I got all siked up and almost immediately after the revival was over, I went home and became that same person who attended on the first day. Nothing changed. It's like going on a "Holy" roller coaster ride. When I got to the end, I simply got off.

We must understand that God speaks to us things that will help us or help others. He doesn't just say things for the heck of it. He wants to enrich each of us. His best words of advice for these disciples was to listen to His Son.

So lets listen, opening not only our ears, but eyes and other senses so that we may hear God speaking to us. And then lets remember that listening is worthless without doing what we're called to do.

In the love of Christ,
greg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home