Friday, June 20, 2008

Thought of the Day !!

What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, 'Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,' but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. But someone will say, 'You have faith; I have deeds.' Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.
James 2:14-18 (NIV)


Think of it this way. Of all the people in the world that you have known, who would you say had or has the most faith? How do you know? Is it because they claim it, or because they live it?

Lets look at it from another person's perspective. Who had the most faith ever? Jesus! What if Jesus walked around all his life and claimed to have faith in God the Father, but never showed it with his deeds?

My last question in this. Are you claiming to have faith, or are you living your faith?

Have a faith-filled weekend.

In the love of Christ,
greg

4 Comments:

At 6/20/08, 10:16 PM, Blogger Brother Marty said...

Today a woman shared her dismay at her daughter being so down on her luck that she didn't have food to feed her children with. My loving wife, when I shared this information with her, insisted that we go to the church's food bank and make her a box of food and send it to her. I didn't think of it...my wife did. I was humbled by the Holy Spirit moving in her. I complied.

So often we think only of ourselves and do not take the time to think of those less blessed. Today, I had the opportunity to think of one less blessed, and shared from the bounty. My wife was moved by the spirit...and I, in turn, was moved. Isn't God Great?

We did "deeds". No reward asked, just a compassion...a Christ-like compassion to be His arms, hands and legs. I was moved by my wife's compassion...such that I could better serve. Isn't it wonderful when there is a move in the Spirit such as this? Deeds!

 
At 6/21/08, 2:44 PM, Blogger Greg Hazelrig said...

Amen!

 
At 6/23/08, 10:49 AM, Blogger DannyG said...

I've always thought that this section from James is pretty much the heart of Methodism. Faith, displayed thru action.

 
At 6/23/08, 11:08 AM, Blogger Greg Hazelrig said...

John Wesley might agree with you. He believed that the number one thing for us to do was to be saved. But then he also believed that this salvation should be worked out in doing good to others.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home