Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Thought of the Day !!

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20 (NIV)


I was meditating on this verse last night with the help of Oswald Chambers' My Utmost For His Highest classic devotional book when these thoughts came to me.

If we are to take Paul seriously here (and I hope we will) then we must be crucified with Christ as well. This doesn't mean imitating Jesus, believe it or not. We are not to do our best to be someone who is like Christ. We can't try our best to be like Jesus because our best simply won't do.

We must die to ourselves, to the selfishness that is at the heart of our human nature and the desire to sin. We must crucify these things within us, allowing Jesus to take their place. Then we won't be like Christ, but actually be a vessel of Christ. If invited, He will come in by the way of His Holy Spirit.

So our best prayer always is simply this. "Come Holy Spirit". For when He comes He brings the perfection of Christ Jesus with Him. We will still get in the way from time to time, but even then, God the Father, forgives us.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this. Quit trying to be like Christ. Instead allow Him to come in and take control of you so that you and Christ will be one. That is my ultimate goal today. It's a goal that may not be accomplished today. But that's no reason not to begin.

In the love of Christ,
greg

1 Comments:

At 3/22/11, 5:21 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home