Thursday, September 18, 2014

Thought of the Day !!

Then the Lord said to Cain, “Where is your brother Abel?” He said, “I do not know; am I my brother’s keeper?”
                                                                   Genesis 4:9 (NRSV)


God was asking about Abel because He knew that Cain had murdered him.  Cain was responding by asking if he was responsible for his brother's whereabouts.  Over time this famous line "Am I my brother's keeper?" has become an expression to mean that in general one is not responsible for another person.

When Jesus came into the world, he taught things like "Love one another" and "Do unto others and you would have them do unto you" and "when you've done to the least of these, you've done to me".  In doing so, he answers the question "Am I my brother's keeper?" with a resounding "Yes!" 

We are our brother's (and sister's) keeper.  We are told to care for those who can't take care of themselves.  These people are our brothers and sisters.  They are God's children.  And God desires us to care for each other, no matter what family name, race, background or social status. 

So let us be our Brother's/Sister's keepers today.

In the love of Christ,
greg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home