Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Thought of the Day !!

     When they arrived and found [Jesus], they asked, "Teacher, how did you get here?"
     Jesus replied, "The truth is, you want to be with me because I fed you, not because you saw the miraculous sign.  But you shouldn't be so concerned about perishable things like food.  Spend your energy seeking the eternal life that I, the Son of Man, can give you.  For God the Father has sent me for that very purpose."
                                                                   John 6:25-27 (NLT)

This passage comes on the heels of the story of the feeding of the five thousand in which these people were miraculously fed with five loaves and two small fish. 

I'm saddened by what I see with these people.  I see people who are thinking of nobody but themselves…who think about what Jesus can do for them without a thought of what they can do for him. 

I'm saddened when I see these same kinds of people today.  But I'm probably most saddened when I see myself in this picture;  when I see myself wondering what God has done for me lately…when I place my own demands upon Jesus…when I think of temporary satisfaction instead of looking at the bigger picture.  What about you?  Can you see yourself as ever acting like this?


The people asked Jesus how he got there to the other side of the Sea of Galilee.  He didn't bother to answer that question…but as Jesus so often does…he gets right to the heart of the matter.  He tells them that they're not looking for him because he produced a miracle, but instead for selfish reasons.  They just want to see if they can find a free meal again.  

His response is to tell them that they shouldn't be so concerned with temporary things that will be here today and gone tomorrow.  Instead of seeking another meal of fish and bread, they should be searching for the greatest thing that Jesus can give them…eternal bread…eternal filling…eternal life.

May we all be seekers of things eternal today.

In the love of Christ,
greg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home