Monday, June 01, 2015

Thought of the Day !!

A spiritual gift is given to each of us so we can help each other. – 1 Corinthians 7 (NLT)

I’ve had so many parishioners say to me that they didn’t have any spiritual gifts since they could not preach, sing or play the piano.  If those were the only spiritual gifts we would truly be in trouble.

I tell these people that there are numerous kinds of spiritual gifts.  The lists in Paul’s writings are not all inclusive and the ones seen on Sunday morning are not all that are given. 

Finding your spiritual gift(s) can sometimes be difficult.  The most effective way is to ask other people.  But as important as realizing what your gifts are, using them (and using them for the right purpose) is imperative.  No one cares if you have the gift of teaching if you never teach them.  No one cares if you have the gift of singing if you only sing in the shower.  No one cares if you are the wisest person in the world if that wisdom is not used to help others.

As a pastor I must remember that preaching is not the only gift God has given me.  If that were so, I’d be an evangelist (and possibly broke).  I need to seek the gifts that allow me to be a better minister to people, which may include some things I never thought about. 

God gave each of us one or more spiritual gifts to use in helping each other.  If we all use our gifts, the world will be a much better place. 

In the love of Christ,

greg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home