Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Thought about Hurricane Katrina (Day 3)

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.
Romans 8:26


Yesterday I went around to my parishioners to see how they weathered the mighty storm. Luckily we are in a place where the winds and rain didn't do enough damage to make people have to leave their homes. I found that the biggest hit was to the rice fields, which are laying on the ground now and will cost much more to harvest. As far as homes goes though, there were a few shingles off, a tree or two ripped from the ground and many limbs down all over yards. But we are dry and well.

Everyone that I spoke to was not so lucky though. In visiting, I came across people who live on the Gulf Coast and made it up here to safety. They do not know how bad their homes are. But they know that it's bad. One family I visited was at the home of parents and steadily watching the news trying to get a glimpse of their neighborhood. Another family was not complete because part of it stayed behind. Luckily the mother had spoken to her son and knew he was alive. But as she said to me, "I just want to hear his voice again." And as for me, I have yet to speak to one of my best friends in Laurel, MS. All I know is that this area supposedly got hit pretty bad as well.

Many people all over have been affected and will be affected by Katrina. And after so many prayers lifted up, it seems as though I keep saying the same thing, "Please be with those affected". There is so much need and nobody knows the total physical, emotional and spiritual damage that has been caused over the last few days (that is...nobody but God Himself). It has gotten to where I do not know what I ought to pray for anymore. But as Paul says, "the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express."

So keep on lifting up your prayers for healing. Remember, its not just the physical stuff. It's the emotional trauma of everything being lost, the feelings of fear for loved ones that people haven't heard from, the spiritual questions such as how can a loving God let this happen. Just pray the best you can and the Spirit will intercede where your words cannot express what your heart is yearning to say.

And finally, may God bless you who either live down south or are waiting to hear from loved ones down there.

In the love of Christ,
greg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home