Thursday, December 01, 2005

Remember When

I got kind of nostalgic today for the days of my youth as I was driving home, and I would like to offer you the chance to think back, remembering when. Now daydreaming can be a dangerous thing while driving, so I suggest doing it at your computer. Here goes.

Remember when:


You thought 30 was old?
When my dad was 36 (my age now) I would have been 16. Now I know I can't be as old as I saw him. And I can't imagine having a 16 year old now.

You used to buy your school lunches for $.55?
Now lets not go getting into competition about who can remember when they could go to the movies and get a drink and popcorn for a quarter while receiving change (Dad!). This is to enjoy our childhood memories. So fill in where needed to suit your own life. As for me, I remember the $.55 meal and holding hands and saying grace before the meal. BTW, I went to public schools.

You learned how to drive?
I backed my dad's company car into a tree...enough about that!

You kissed your first girl (boy)?
Nope...must have been too nervous and blocked it out.

You got your first car?
Oh yeah!!! A 1967 metallic blue Rally Sport soft top convertible Camaro with a 327 engine. Boy was that a slow sports car. All my friends beat me. I even got beat by a truck once. But all the girls wanted to ride in my care though. And isn't that all that matters.

Of course I also remember having been broke down on the side of the road eleven times in one year. Oh well, on to other memories.

*** Hey, I think I remember that girl I kissed now --- Nope, false alarm. She wouldn't kiss me.

You went to the prom?
I remember that I couldn't dance. I also remember that I was supposed to go in with a friend and rent a limo. He backed out at the last minute and I got stuck with the whole bill.

You were riding your motorcycle out in some very tall grass and got stuck and then all of a sudden it caught on fire?
Or was that just me?

You learned the truth about Santa Claus?
I remember my parents telling me that if I told my little sister that I wouldn't get anymore presents. I also remember telling my sister not to let on afterwards so we could both have Santa come see us every year.

*** Her name was.......Robin.....Yes. My first date and my first kiss. Actually the kiss came before the date. Long story. Short relationship.

You used to go on vacation with your parents?
Most of ours was to the Smokey Mountains. I remember playing in the freezing cold mountain streams.

You saw your first scary movie?
I remember I was very young and was in the back seat of my parents' car at the drive-in. My mom shoved my head down every time there was a scary part or someone shed some clothing. I saw more of the back floorboard than the movie. And yet I still had to sleep with the bedroom door open and the lights on.

How about you? What would you like to remember? The key is that from time to time we stop our busyness, sit still for a moment, and enjoy a memory or two. Or as Lisa at Messy Musings puts it, stop and breathe. It just may brighten your day.

2 Comments:

At 12/2/05, 7:51 AM, Blogger Greg Hazelrig said...

Oops. I was thinking when he was my age...36. Now he wasn't 14 when I was born. He was 20. Sorry. And thanks for catching that. I am going to change it.

 
At 12/2/05, 10:33 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Greg, Thank you for this. You made me laugh until I had tears! and thanks for the mention. Can't tell you how much that means to me.

Danny, I just saw my grandma's hands at the end of my arms the other day. I know what ya mean.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home