Saturday, November 26, 2005

Jerry

Good morning, afternoon or evening. We've been at our folks house this past week, which has proved to be a bittersweet one for sure. I've enjoyed good food and time with family. But at the same time I've received two pieces of very bad news. One of which led to my being an honorary paul-bearer at one of my best friend's funerals.

Jerry was a dear friend that I met in seminary. He was older than the rest of us and we all joked that he would be ordained and retired in the same year. He was supposed to be ordained next year with me. Though he may never be ordained on earth, his ordination comes in Heaven where I have to believe he's the same kind of person that he was on earth. You see, Jerry never met a person he didn't like or didn't try to make laugh.

As for me, I have been very lucky up until now. I've never had a friend to die. Jerry was the first. And I don't think I handled it well until the actual funeral.

I ask that as you read this, you lift up a prayer for a woman many of you will not know. Her name is Peggy Salley, the widow of Jerry Salley - friend - pastor - Mark Twain impersonater - and all around good guy.

See you later Jerry.

1 Comments:

At 11/27/05, 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to miss Jerry as well. He had a wicked sense of humor and a way of getting in trouble.

His battle with cancer was tough. As was parts of his life. But he has his good reward now.

He'll be missed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home