Wednesday, February 08, 2006

A comment I left on the blog "Rekindling Methodism

To be who we are really supposed to be as Methodists, we must become accountable. We have to start with our own selves, seeking that log in our own eyes. Then we must seek out what Scripture says and hold the Methodist Church accountable to God's Word instead of letting "anything" go because it seems popular in our world today. Remember, Wesley probably wasn't popular to many because of his insistance on change.

But with all that in mind, we must learn how to put God's Word and our Wesleyan practices to use in an ever-changing world. We have to bring the gospel to those who are seeking in a different way than those in Wesley's day, or even in our earlier days.

This is difficult. It means not watering down the gospel, but at the same time presenting it in a variety of forms ranging from emergent to traditional (so the older folks or those more traditional folks won't be left out).

Are we divided? Yes. Is homosexuality and abortion and other tough topics dividing us? Yes. Can we come together on these subjects? Maybe not because there are two sides and they both believe in their side. But when we judge the other side, we are taking on Christ's authority. So lets be careful of that first and then seek out our own flaws, understanding that we are not perfect.

From there...I honestly don't know. I guess we'll just have to see. I wish I had the answer. But I'm just one person trying to do what God wants me to do in my little section of His Great and Wonderful World.

In the love of Christ,
greg

3 Comments:

At 2/15/06, 9:20 PM, Blogger Michael said...

I see what you mean, Greg. I've grappled with all this many times in the pulpit, on my own blog, and at "Rekindling .."

I'm of the opinion that Dan's viewpoint is a little over-the-top, but I cannot completely disagree. The Gospel is as it is. We can water it down, but we cannot change its fundamental nature that it is GOOD NEWS!

I think we conservatives do a grave disservice to this GOOD NEWS when we insist that this GOOD NEWS must be received in ONE particular way - or no way at all.

 
At 2/16/06, 5:41 AM, Blogger Greg Hazelrig said...

I agree, but would say that it goes both ways (conservatives and liberals). I think that often times people believe so adamately about something that they tend to get defensive at the least little thing, which can lead to having blinders put on.

The Truth is going to be Truth no matter what we say or do. But we can try to put limits on it to fit the scope of our own personal beliefs.

 
At 2/18/06, 12:14 AM, Blogger Questing Parson said...

After all these years I've decided I want to concentrate on what Jesus determination of the greatest commandment (Love the Lord your God ...) and the second one like unto it (Love your neighbor as yourself.) Of all the things in the Bible that I completely, without any reservation, understand, this is it. I find the problem lies in my just not wanting to do it. So ... I'm going to work on these two commandments. And when I get to some approximation of making those real in my life I'll move on to Leviticus and Paul.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home