Friday, June 16, 2006

Annual Conference / Ordination

I told my wife yesterday that this has been the longest week that's flown by. What I meant by it was that I was spent. So much had gone on, and I had been very busy. Yet I don't remember half of it and it seemed like we just got to Jackson for the opening day of Annual Conference. It's kind of like going to bed at night and waking up the next morning totally unrefreshed and thinking it can't be time to get up already, while looking at 9:00 am on the bedside clock.

As always, Conference is a wonderful time to get to see old friends...and even make a few new ones from time to time. I did both. From catching up in the halls to playing some game I still don't understand one evening until 12:30. I enjoyed every minute of this facet of Annual Conference.

But the most important, and most memorable part of sharing friendship at Conference came when we were ordained. I was ordained with one of my best friends, Rev. Andy Stoddard. And there were others like Cynthia and Harold and others that I have gone through so much with. We were all ordained. It wasn't like college where I didn't know the people on my row. This was much more intimate. And we had 20 or 21 of us ordained. And the greatest thing that I will ever be able to say is that I've been an elder longer than Andy Stoddard...by at least 5-10 minutes. :) By the way, congratulations Andy, Harold, Cynthia, Toby, and all the rest.

The one downside to ordination was that three of my good friends were not there. Two had some personal problems during the process and most likely will be there next year. One lost his life to cancer last year. Jerry Salley was a dear friend who meant a lot to a lot of people. He was a great pastor and a true friend. I saw his wife at Conference. It was good that she could be there. I give thanks to God for Jerry and pray for Peggy to continue on without her favorite person in the world.

One final thought. I walked up the steps when my name was called. I kneeled at the rail. And I looked up at Bishop Hope Morgan Ward. Her smile was so big it made me grin from ear to ear. It was almost like she was proud of me. Whether or not that's true...well...who cares, it's my memory. And I'm gonna go with that feeling. But anyway, she laid her hands on me, and that's really the last thing I remember. It's almost like a blacked out. I believe something happened to me Tuesday evening. I believe I took the next step and that God was proud of me (of all of us) that night. And it is my intention to do my best to keep on making Him proud. What a feeling that night! God was truly present. The Holy Spirit truly came down and in to us. And I believe I was created anew...Again. May God bless each one of the newly ordained elders in the Mississippi Conference, as well as all those from other Conferences like Beth. And may God use each one of us for a long time to come to make disciples for Jesus Christ.

My thanks to all those who came Tuesday evening. It meant more to me than you will ever know.

In the love of Christ,
greg

8 Comments:

At 6/16/06, 9:54 AM, Blogger gavin richardson said...

excellent! congrats greg.. you keep your happy smiling memories, then we can bust on you about how silly that was years from now. &:~D

God's shalom on your new place in ministry

 
At 6/16/06, 12:36 PM, Blogger Chaplain Feeser said...

I wish I could have been there Greg. I was thinking during our ordination service that almost at that very moment you and Stoddard were significantly raising the quality of the Order of Elders. Congratulations and on June 12 2007 I will join you, Lord willing and the BOM's vote.

In Christ,
Ron

 
At 6/16/06, 9:29 PM, Blogger doodlebugmom said...

I love the emotion of this post. I got goosebumps and I don't even know you!

So sorry to hear your friend Jerry wasn't there...but ya know...he was there. I lost my best friend to breast cancer 2 years ago, and another dear friend to it last fall. But I know part of them will always be with me.

Congratulatons once again. And best of luck in the days ahead.

 
At 6/17/06, 1:18 PM, Blogger Beth Quick said...

Congrats, Greg!

 
At 6/18/06, 3:51 PM, Blogger Rev. C. S. Roberts said...

Congrats Greg.
I am in Track 3 starting this fall... and I hope to be there, at my conference, next year.

 
At 6/18/06, 11:53 PM, Blogger Questing Parson said...

What a wonderful tribute that Jerry's wife thought the ordination important enough for her to come -- bitter-sweet.

This was a powerful post, my brother.

Welcome to the Order of Elders. We are better that you are one of us.

 
At 6/19/06, 7:10 PM, Blogger Greg Hazelrig said...

Thank all of you for your comments, congratulations and welcome. They have meant a lot to me. God bless each of you.

 
At 6/20/06, 8:29 PM, Blogger Neil said...

Congratulations, Greg! Blessings to you and your ministry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home