Thursday, May 17, 2007

Thought of the Day !!

Yet we hear that some of you are living idle lives, refusing to work and wasting time meddling in other people's business.
2 Thessalonians 3:11 (NLT)


One of the ways I decide on the scripture passage each day is to choose from a daily verse that is emailed to me. Sometimes I use it. Sometimes I save it for another day. And sometimes I simply discard it.

When I saw this verse this morning, I started to put it in the discard category. But something stopped me. My first thought was that I wanted to share some comforting thoughts today instead of speaking some hard truths that we all of us need to hear from time to time. And then the second thought about this scripture was that many of us can read this and say to ourselves, "Yeah, there are a lot of lazy folks out there living idle lives and being taken care of by the government and my tax money because they refuse to work." This idea only comes to mind because I've heard it said by so many "church" folk.

But then I thought about the fact that we can all live idle lives when it comes to living for God. We are no better than anyone else when we don't work at our relationship with Christ, which also entails our relationship with others.

And then there's work and church and home. We can complain about these things. We can talk about the people at work and church and how they aren't doing this or that. Or we can work at fixing ourselves and then whatever situation we're complaining about.

What is it that you might be sitting idly by and complaining about instead of working on and fixing?

In the love of Christ,
greg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home