Thursday, February 14, 2013

Thought of the Day !!

You are dust, and to dust you shall return.
                     Genesis 3:19b (NRSV)


I woke up this morning and looked in the mirror to see a black residue on my forehead that still resembled a cross.  This is what remained from last night's Ash Wednesday service when the sign of the cross was placed there to remind me of my mortality and my need for repentance. 

Today I'm reminded of just how small I am compared to God.  Yet I still often think that my desire or opinion is what matters.  It's amazing that He would even put up with us who live our lives so much for ourselves and so little for Him.  He created us.  He brought us from dust and will be around long after we return to the dust.  Yet somehow He continues to love us as the greatest of all parents can only do. 

I've taken a mental picture of the cross-formed ashes even though they were rinsed off in the shower this morning.  And I hope that this mental picture will not go away soon.  For we all need to be reminded, no humbled, by our own sinfulness that goes even beyond what we can imagine.  May we find a deep understanding of the love of the Father who sent His Son while we were yet sinners, guided by our own sinful nature (selfish desires).  And may it humble us all today.

In the love of Christ,
greg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home