Tuesday, August 08, 2006

NLT differences

Check it out. Both are New Living Translations. The first comes from www.newlivingtranslation.com, which I assume is the official NLT site. The second comes from www.crosswalk.com.

NEWLIVINGTRANSLATION.COM

26 Then God said, "Let us make human beings* in our image, to be like ourselves. They will reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, the livestock, all the wild animals on the earth, and the small animals that scurry along the ground."

27 So God created human beings* in his own image.
In the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.

28 Then God blessed them and said, "Be fruitful and multiply. Fill the earth and govern it. Reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, and all the animals that scurry along the ground."



CROSSWALK.COM

1:26
Then God said, "Let us make people in our image, to be like ourselves. They will be masters over all life – the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, and all the livestock, wild animals, and small animals."

1:27
So God created people in his own image; God patterned them after himself; male and female he created them.

1:28
God blessed them and told them, "Multiply and fill the earth and subdue it. Be masters over the fish and birds and all the animals."


Now guess which one my NLT Bible coincides with.

CROSSWALK --- Weird. I would at least guess that if one were wrong, it wouldn't be the offical site.

5 Comments:

At 8/8/06, 10:29 AM, Blogger R. Mansfield said...

Actually, Tyndale released a major revision to the NLT in 2004. The differences are so distinctive, one can almost think of them as two different translations.

www.newlivingtranslation.com IS the official site, so I guess it makes sense that their text is the more up to date.

If you're interested in some of the history of the NLT and the differences between the two editions, I wrote about it a month or so ago on my blog: http://homepage.mac.com/rmansfield/thislamp/files/060623_new_living_translation.html

 
At 8/8/06, 11:19 AM, Blogger Greg Hazelrig said...

Thanks. Your reporting on the NLT was very interesting. I did not know that there was an updated version.

Personally, I like the NIV, NRSV and NLT the best. And I guess it just depends on what I'm doing as to which I would prefer to use. When I have more time, I will try to get back over to your blog and check out what you say about all the other translations.

 
At 8/8/06, 11:30 AM, Blogger R. Mansfield said...

Question for you, since I notice you're a pastor. Do you preach out of the NLT?

I was talking about this with my wife recently (who uses the NLT as her primary translation), and I told her that if I am ever in a position of regular preaching again, I might just opt for the NLT because in my opinion it has the most natural sounding phrasings of any major translation and because of that would be understandable to new believers (or unbelievers) and fresh to more mature believers.

 
At 8/8/06, 2:51 PM, Blogger Greg Hazelrig said...

You know, I typically preach from my NRSV. But I wonder if that's more because of how precious that particular bible is to me? It was given to me by my wife on our anniversary the year I decided to accept the calling. And it was the one that I began preaching from. It's my favorite more because of the memories.

I actually am using the NLT this Sunday because I like how it puts the verse I'm using. It seems to put it just the way I want it to be said. I also use it for our praise and worship services on Sunday evenings. We have a few more younger people and I think it relates to them better. I also do my daily devotional reading from it.

As for sermons, I sometimes like using the NRSV or NIV that will use a word that is unfamiliar. The reason is that I can sometimes take that word and explain it and open it up to the people. One of the reasons I don't like to use the Message that often is because they have taken some words and contemporized them so much that it seems no explaining is necassary except to the older folks. For example, when Jesus comes before the Temple guards, I have to explain to the ones who know their bibles that this is what is meant when I read police.

But all in all I like the NLT because it's a translation and easy to read and easy to understand by those who hear.

I had a district superintendant and a mentor before I was ordained that had differing opinions. The DS thought that it was a terrible thing to preach or try to do real study from the NLT. The mentor used it every Sunday and did a revival at the church I was assigned to at the time. I had people asking me to use it after that.

So there is three views. I hope it helps. Sorry for being so long-winded.

 
At 8/8/06, 8:01 PM, Blogger R. Mansfield said...

Thank you. Your comments are both interesting and confirming. I think a lot of it has to do with knowing your congregation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home