Thursday, August 03, 2006

Thought of the Day !!

Meanwhile, the boat was far out to sea when the wind came up against (the disciples) and they were battered by the waves. At about four o'clock in the morning, Jesus came toward them walking on the water. They were scared out of their wits. "A ghost!" they said, crying out in terror.

But Jesus was quick to comfort them. "Courage, it's me. Don't be afraid."

Peter, suddenly bold, said, "Master, if it's really you, call me to come to you on the water."

He said, "Come ahead."


Jumping out of the boat, Peter walked on the water to Jesus. But when he looked down at the waves churning beneath his feet, he lost his nerve and started to sink. He cried, "Master, save me!"


Jesus didn't hesitate. He reached down and grabbed his hand. Then he said, "Faint-heart, what got into you?"

Matthew 14:24-31 (The Message)

(Part 2 of 2)

The boat is being forcibly rocked back and forth by the wind. The rain is coming down in sheets, which makes it difficult to see anything out in front. A figure appears. It's the shape of a man...but no...that can't be. We're miles from land. The only way for it to be a real person would be for the person to be walking out there on the sea. Of course that's nonsense. No one can do that. IT MUST BE A GHOST!!

Wait. I hear a familiar voice. Did he just say to have courage and that it's...it's Jesus out there? Was it really his voice that I heard tell us not to be afraid?

"If it's really you...then prove it. Call me out there with you."

"Did ya'll just hear what I heard? He said to come! Well, yes I'm going! It's Jesus!"

I would've thought that stepping out of the boat would have been more difficult. But it was just like taking a step on dry land. With Jesus in front of me and my focus solely on him, I can make it.

Wait, what am doing? Did I really get in the water? The waves...the wind...I...I can't see Jesus anymore...oh no, I'm sinking! "Master, save me!"


True, Peter lost his faith while in the water. But let's not forget that he also was the only one to have enough faith to get out of the boat in the first place. It takes the courage that comes from our faith in Jesus to get out of our comfort zones and get our hands dirty doing the Lord's work.

Lets also remember that when Peter began to sink, even through his lack of faith he showed enough faith to call out to Jesus for help. He didn't try to get out of the raging seas himself by trying to swim back to the boat. If he'd tried, he'd died. In our own storms we should remember that it is Jesus that can get us through them. And even when our faith has faltered, if we cry out to Jesus, he won't forsake us.

In the love of Christ,
greg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home