Saturday, April 21, 2007

Riverfest in Vicksburg

Michelle and I had a good time last night. We proved that though we feel old, we're not quite over the hill yet. We stayed out to 11:30 (yippee).

Actually, it was the first day I allowed myself off in a long time. So we went out to eat last night and then strolled over a few blocks to downtown Vicksburg. There is a yearly event called Riverfest. It's not as big as Memphis in May (which is where I grew up and has tons of big name bands), but it was pretty cool. It was indeed a smaller version of Memphis in May. It's funny because I never really went to the festivities much when I lived in Memphis. But I loved going downtown last night.

It was one street blocked off with three stages a few blocks from each other. Lining the street was food galore. Everything you could think of to be fried or grilled, including alligator. There were a couple of games like the bucking bronco and the bungie thing-a-ma-bob where you jump up and down on a trampoline and use the bungie cords to lift you into the air.

But the highlight of the night was seeing the last country act. I knew I would enjoy hearing Blake Shelton, but couldn't remember all the songs he sang. He put on a great show and I knew several from the radio. He also played "Brown eyed girl", a Jimmy Buffet song, an old Eddie Rabbit song, the theme from Smokey and the Bandit and "Lonely Women make good lovers".

It was great. I hadn't been to a concert in a long time. When I was a kid, I went to all of them...well, all the Heavy Metal ones anyway...Ha Ha!!

We're going back again today. Today there will be a flea market and arts and crafts show. All the stores will be open during the day with sidewalk sales as well. I will enjoy the day walking around our small downtown holding the hand of the woman I still love after 12 1/2 years. And then next week...well lets just say we'll be eating chicken noodle soup everyday for we will have spent all our money! :)

Hope your weekend is filled with as much joy as mine has and hopefully will continue to have.

In the love of Christ,
greg

4 Comments:

At 4/21/07, 3:20 PM, Blogger TN Rambler said...

Hope you're having a good time. Sounds like a lot of fun.

 
At 4/21/07, 4:34 PM, Blogger Greg Hazelrig said...

Thanks Wayne. I've just got back and got showered and am pooped. But now we are leaving in an hour to go to an Emmaus candlelight gathering which is about an hour and a half away.

I got to get back to work. This down time is killing me!!

Ha Ha !!

 
At 4/22/07, 9:19 AM, Blogger DannyG said...

Last week (J) & I got out to see the Broadway on tour edition of "Joseph & the amaizing Technicolor Dreamcoat". A musical was our 1st date 22 yrs ago this June, and whith the lights down and the orchestra playing...you could forget for a few minutes about the wheelchair, etc. Those moments of renewal are priceless.

 
At 4/22/07, 12:37 PM, Blogger doodlebugmom said...

I always think its good to go back to work on Monday morning to relax.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home