Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Blog Readability

I saw this test of the blog readability on some other sites and thought I'd click on it to see what mine was. In finding out the results I was horrified. I mean, I've been to college. I've got a Masters in Divinity. But after seeing the readability of other peoples' blogs being graduate level, I decided to hang my head in shame. I mean even John the Methodist had at least a Junior High Zombie type rating. And Mark Winter, who doesn't even understand the concept of BBQ, received a Junior High rating as well.

Oh the shame I felt. Would I quit blogging? Should I move to another country? Wait! This humility goes all over the world. What would be my course of action?

I decided to check out a few more of my favorite blogs. Time and again College or Graduate. My best friend Andy Stoddard had no sympathy either. He had the audacity to rate a high school rating. I may never be able to walk in his presence again. And so the questions of what I should do continued.

And then it happened. Actually, it was quite by mistake. As I was going over my list of favored (and evidently smarter) bloggers, I came to one person I felt might have compassion. Questing Parson and I hold the honors of having the same readability. Right then, I knew that I could walk out the door again. I knew that life was worth living. Because if a smart guy like QP had an elementary level readability, then so could I.

And I hold my head up today, thanking Questing Parson for not allowing me to be the only person that writes in a way that even a 3rd grader could understand.

cash advance

Get a Cash Advance




Hold the presses! We must be starting a trend here. I just realized that I left my buddy DannyG out, along with Doodlebugmom. We'll be all the rave of the third grade. :)

12 Comments:

At 11/6/07, 7:24 AM, Blogger DannyG said...

Yes, I ran the test, too. I'm sure it's because we choose clear, concise language, unfettered by jargon or technical terms. I comforted myself because if I tested the material I am teaching right now (Pharmacogenetics and Pharmacogenomics, Analysis of medical/pharmaceutical literature, etc.) it would probably fry the server. Besides, I like lots of pictures!

 
At 11/6/07, 7:56 AM, Blogger Brother Marty said...

I couldn't resist rating my blog and I'm jealous! I discovered that I've forgotten that the news media has always held to the grade school reading standard. I'll be keeping this in mind in the future.

 
At 11/6/07, 9:42 AM, Blogger gavin richardson said...

i'm junior high.. probably cause i've used some bad words along the way. &:~)

 
At 11/6/07, 9:57 AM, Blogger Art said...

There is something to be said for writing in a way that anyone can understand.

 
At 11/6/07, 10:43 AM, Blogger Greg Hazelrig said...

Art - that's easy to do when you're a simple person like me :)

 
At 11/6/07, 12:59 PM, Blogger doodlebugmom said...

I am elementary too. I am in good company!

 
At 11/6/07, 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greg,
Don't forget that John Wesley encouraged us to proclaim the word in a fashion that a 7 year old could understand it. Maybe you are being more Wesleyan than the others.

 
At 11/7/07, 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and I should not feel to bad. In a face-saving effort I checked the New York Times (www.nytimes.com).

 
At 11/8/07, 7:38 AM, Blogger Mark said...

And Mark Winter, who doesn't even understand the concept of BBQ, received a Junior High rating as well.

I kant beeleeve i rated jr hi. Its enuff to drive a man 2 brisket.

 
At 11/8/07, 7:57 AM, Blogger Greg Hazelrig said...

You said it, brother Winters !!!

And if you will check out the New York Times (like QP did), you'll see that it's a Junior High as well.

Being from TX you might remember the old Pace Picante Sauce commercial where people from TX get upset about their sauce being produced in NY City. Are you at all concerned that you can now relate to those in NY as well as the Times? By the way, where does your Picante sauce come from Mark?

:)

 
At 11/8/07, 9:13 PM, Blogger Mark said...

I eat a lot of picante sauce and NONE of it comes from New York City.

But them Yankees can make some darn good pizza pie.

 
At 11/11/07, 2:53 PM, Blogger John said...

Art wrote:

There is something to be said for writing in a way that anyone can understand.

That sort of thinking will never land you a tenure-track position.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home