Monday, February 13, 2006

Wiccan Services

Dear friends. I am sickened at something I heard about a week ago. It hasn't been verified, so understand that I am going on second hand information. For this reason I will simply say that if this is happening, it is sickening to me.

The "it" that I'm talking about is the alleged United Methodist church (or churches)in Colorado that are supposedly allowing Wiccans to come in and hold weekly services. Now I know we have our differences within our denomination. I know that some hold on to the fact that homosexuality is definitely a sin while others hold fast to the fact that it isn't. Each side presumably claims that they can prove their case biblically. Their opponenets will of course disagree.

We may disagree about other subjects like when life begins or if it's a sin to drink or gamble. But where in the world can somebody come up with a biblical basis for having a Wiccan service in church? Does the Bible not speak out against witchcraft?

Again, I don't have proof about this, and I can only hope it's not true. Otherwise we are truly desecrating God's house here in the name of inclusiveness. I would love to know how you feel about the subject. And if anyone has more information on this topic, please let me know.

4 Comments:

At 2/13/06, 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Greg,

I know nothing about this other than your post, but you asked how I feel about the subject, so I'll comment.

There is no Biblical basis for Wiccan service in a Christian Church. If you want to invite Wiccans to church, I think we are commanded to do that. To teach them the gospel as commanded by Christ and show them the error of their ways. However, there is absolutely no room whatsoever for a Christian worship service to include a pagan faith such as wicca. NONE WHATSOEVER.

If I were to come to church one Sunday and discover that I had misread the weekly newsletter and I suddenly found a bunch of wiccans leading or participating in my Christian service, I don't think I'd be able to keep it together. I'd have to stand up right in the middle of the church service and rebuke that pastor formally in the name of God the Father, Jesus Christ our Lord, and the Holy Spirit. If the pastor refused to submit to the authority of the Bible on the subject of witchcraft, then I'd say he'd have go. Just like Homer Stokes in the movie, "Oh, Bother Where Art Thou?", it would be time for him to be run out on a rail. If the congregation was so duped by this false teaching, then I reckon I'd have to go. But I would not go quietly. This is just would happen in the service. Then I'd drive straight to the Bishop's office on Monday morning and we would have a "come to Jesus meeting" with the pastor and the Bishop and the D.S.

And I'm just a Layman....

You asked how I'd feel....Well, Christianity is not a faith based on feeling, it is a faith based on doing. That is what I would do.

 
At 2/14/06, 7:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greg,

Where did you hear this? It's not that it's impossible for me to believe, given how far the Colorado Conference has drifted from orthodox Christianity, but I also know that even well intentioned people sometimes don't get the facts straight and end up spreading rumors. I don't want to sound like I'm accusing you of this but before I would comment on it, and if it's true its definately worth writing about, I'd like some more background.

 
At 2/14/06, 8:29 AM, Blogger Greg Hazelrig said...

I agree Keith. And John, I understand completely. Remember, I said this is second hand info and I'm not 100 percent sure. But a friend of mine has another friend who's a pastor in Colorado and that's where it came from. I am hoping to have verification from my friend who is going to CO soon. He wants to find out for himself.

I was just wondering if others would be as bothered by something like this as I am.

If and when I get some hard evidence, I will post again. Thanks for your opinion.

 
At 2/14/06, 5:05 PM, Blogger gavin richardson said...

interesting, i'd be interested to hear if there is validity to the subject. i ride the fence for opinion. my understanding would accept them into the building, but questions of how they use or if they cover up what the church stands for might be interesting to note. yet, a piece of me says, they have no intention of even proximal approach to seeking or acknowledging our God of Abraham.. hmmm.. tough one

 

Post a Comment

<< Home